I’ve done a horrible job at keeping this updated, but since my last post, I became unemployed, reemployed, and now a parent. It’s been a wild ride of life changes. This won’t be a long post, but I’ll share a few notes of what has happened and what I’ve learned, as I know people are looking for updates.
- The appliance breaks all the damn time. I’m not kidding. I wish I wrote a post for every time it broke. The corners on the top were the most fragile and the side metal bracket on the bottom broke for a second time. Vivo’s customer service hasn’t been impressive. Instead of replacing what seemed to be a lemon, they kept repairing and sending it back. Here’s why that was terrible…
- I found out later that Vivo’s charged for the repair fees, $150+, but my dentist was eating the cost. I’d say they coughed up at least $800+ in repair fees to Vivo’s, considering how many times it broke. A product this expensive shouldn’t break repeatedly….period.
- When the appliance was shipped off for repair, it took anywhere from a few weeks to over a month, for it to return. Doing this multiple times meant I lost considerable progress over and over again. It was really frustrating when at one point, it was gone for almost 1.5 months and I assumed I was getting a new one and they sent it back to me once again repaired. That same area that was repaired broke again within the next couple of weeks.
- I finally got a new one, and it has a slightly different design. No breakages yet, but a bracket on the bottom is bent. I haven’t been able to have it looked at, due to COVID-19 cancellations. I’ll get a picture up later.
- I’m sleeping better, but still exhausted. Of course, I also have a child now. I had a home sleep study done and will try to upload the results. My AHI didn’t change at all, but my primary care said there was a definite improvement, even if I don’t feel it much.
- I’ve had some minor teeth tipping, on the top, the thing that isn’t supposed to happen. With the last appliance, I had to slow down the turns from one week, to every 10 days, then to every two weeks when turning and only the top. The bottom is ahead at the moment. When I got the new appliance, they suggested I go back to a week, but I started to get some tipping on the top again. I’m now turning it a 1/2 turn every 4 weeks, which is painfully slow, but better than the alternative. My next appointment is in mid-June, so we’ll see how it looks then.